My favorite way to solve any dilemma is a pro/con list. Let’s commence.
PROS (for Prince Fielder if he leaves the Brewers)
- Gabillions upon quadrillions of dollars
- Big-City atmosphere (which, as a married man with kids, probably not that much of an incentive at this point)
CONS (if he leaves the Brewers)
- Constant competition with other All Star teammates for press, recognition, and overachievement
- Disappointment in losses directly proportionate to level of paycheck and number of aces on team
- Paparazzi-like media in coastal markets
- Benumbed fan base in coastal markets - sure, the love a winning team, but they’ve seen a great player before, in fact, many times before
PROS (for Fielder if he stays with Brewers)
- Will achieve idol-like status for the rest of his life and likely decades beyond
- Will most assuredly receive a bronzed statue in his likeness stationed near Miller Park
- If not a gabillion dollars, he’ll make a respectable (low) hundreds of millions during his tenure
- Likely won’t have to compete for attention or greatness with other teammates…while they’ll be good together he’ll always be the star
- Clubhouse full of BFFs
- Respectable privacy for family from media, and, most likely, never a negative story
- Jubilation in wins directly proportional to likability and godlike status to rabid fan base
CONS (if Fielder stays in Milwaukee)
- Gabillion dollars - hundreds of millions = that much less filling his swimming pool a la Scrooge McDuck
Not much of a choice is it? Besides, ever hear the phrase “You can’t take it with you”? What the heck are you going to do with a couple hundred more million you can’t already do with your current hundred million? Is it worth leaving a work environment you love so much and fan base that truly will revere you ‘til the end of time?
Likely, yes, but we Brewers fans are still hoping otherwise.